December 18, 2008

Bangalore Fried Chicken

I've been vegetarian for almost 20 years, so it's hard to remember the last time I dined at Kentucky Fried Chicken. Oh wait, it was yesterday.

I stumbled across this KFC in Bangalore while waiting for my sleeper bus to Goa. I could not believe how happy I felt to see something familiar, even if it was a fast food restaurant I never even visit at home. I paused to wave at the Colonel, and that's when I saw the banner in the window advertising vegetarian chicken. Whaaa?

I ran inside, feeling a little guilty for being seduced by corporate culture, and ordered up some veg chicken sticks and French fries.

Photobucket

Then I sat at my little table with my hands folded and watched the smartly dressed waiters - Indian KFC has table service - hustle around, accompanied by a Muzak version of Madonna's greatest hits. The comfort factor was overwhelming.

The veg chicken was sort of like fish sticks - rectangular, unnaturally white and uniformly processed - with an occasional pea or carrot chunk for texture. It wouldn't win any culinary prizes, but the appeal of salty batter never fades. The fries were like heaven and, as a bonus, my tray liner included this intriguing game.

Photobucket


It's a maze with a bucket of chicken at the starting point. The directions read, "Try coming out of its taste." Hmmm...

So if KFC is mass-producing vegetarian options for India, why don't we have them in the U.S.? I know there's less interest in vegetarian dining in America, but how hard would it be to throw a pack of these Bangalorian veg sticks in the freezer?

Look into that, would you Mr. Chicken?

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Fecal haikus! What fun, and I love the look you've given the blog. Mine is quite stodgy by comparison, but given the topic, maybe that's appropriate. I also read your veg KFC piece, and now I remember why I miss NEH so much since it went away. Kepp on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete