May 1, 2009

Hai-poo for you

Last night at Luna's Cafe, I "treated" the open-mic audience to a reading of this poem, the first piece I wrote after six months in India. I really wanted to capture the amazing beauty of my adventures, but my mind had other plans. Someday, I'll be a great travel writer. Until then, I give you:

Things that pooped on me in India: a haiku quartet

Rats in the rafters
Droppings descend like snowflakes
Praise mosquito nets!

A wild beach dog
Pees on my water bottle
Tourists point and laugh

Cow smears manure
On my arm in Gokarna
Maybe that’s sacred?

Bird poop in my hair
Japanese think that’s good luck
Indians do not



I thought I might have invented a new genre with "hai-poo", but it seems stand-up comedian Francois Fly beat me to it. There really is nothing new under the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment