October 15, 2009

Ask and ye shall receive

I got a God in the mail today!

Photobucket

I've started writing a book about my experiences in India. It's my first serious attempt at a looooong piece of writing and, frankly, it's scaring the ink out of me. A couple of weeks ago, I woke in the middle of the night with only one thought in my head: "If I am writing a book, I need Ganesh."

Ganesh is a Hindu deity, a jovial elephant-headed boy often called India's most popular God. He is "the remover of obstacles" and he's also the God of Writers. Ganesh is usually depicted holding a broken piece of his tusk in one of his four hands, which he uses as a writing implement. Like all artists, he creates from parts of himself!

I e-mailed my friend Erin, who lives in India and chronicles her life in the amazing blog Bindi Girl. I asked her to please mail me a Ganesh. The Indian postal system can be fraught with difficulties, but Ganesh lived up to his reputation as the remover of obstacles by arriving in perfect condition and record time.

Even better, my Ganesh is POP-UP! Check out the 3D trunk and ears!

Photobucket

I am truly grateful to Erin for helping connect me to India and to her own travel-writing badassery. This week, I've been writing about our first meeting in India. She helped me cross the insanely busy streets of Mumbai and bought me my first masala dosa!

May you all be blessed with such patient guides when you step out on your adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment