October 23, 2009

Real-life Job Conversations: Part 1

I quit full-time journalism a couple of years ago to experiment with a new strategy: working relatively mindless part-time jobs to free up my brain for creative writing projects. Since then, I've paid the bills by packaging books for a mail-order company, handing out food samples in supermarkets, selling organic soda, manning the admissions gate at a lake near my house, buying and re-selling used clothes, making nachos at a concessions stand, and a number of other gigs on the less-glamorous side of the employment spectrum.

This has given me more time for writing - especially because I have much less money to go out with. It's also brought me a new appreciation for the bizarre interactions that happen in customer service. Thus, I present to you the first in an occasional Fool's Compass series: Real-life Job Conversations.

Today's RLJC takes place in a Raley's supermarket in Placerville, CA. I was distributing free scoops of Ciao Bella chocolate hazelnut gelato when an elderly woman approached my table...



Woman: [stares at the samples on my table] What is it?

Me: It's Ciao Bella gelato. This is the chocolate hazelnut flavor.

Woman: But what is it?

Me: It's gelato. It's like Italian ice cream.

Woman: But what is it?

Me: Ice cream. It's just ice cream.

Woman: What do you do with it?

Me: What do you do with ice cream? Well, it's a dessert. You know, ice cream?

Woman: But what is it?

Me: It's ice cream. It's... um, a frozen dessert. It's sweet.

Woman: But what...

Me: [interrupting] Do you want to try it?

Woman: OK. [takes a bite] Eww! It's cold!

Me: Um, I think it's time for my break now, so ... yeah.

1 comment:

  1. common interaction at my retail job:

    woman eyeing clothing product: excuse me, can you help me with something?
    me: of course, what can i do for you?
    woman, now picking up scarf/blouse/candle/book: it's my sisters birthday, do you think she would like this as a gift?

    of course i would know what your sister, that you have known for an average of 27 years, and i have never met, likes. my retail experience has developed such a sense of salesmanship that i have the ability to know what people do or do not like WITHOUT EVEN HAVING MET THEM! i should probably do something more useful with this talent...or just sell you a $48 dollar scarf.

    ReplyDelete