November 30, 2009

Manuscript Monday: Crashing the Cricket Club


Towards the end of my first week in Mumbai, I had a wild day that encompassed animal slaughter, sitting at the feet of an elderly guru, and lunching at the members-only Cricket Club of India. I wrote a post about the first two parts of this day while on the road last year, which you can read here.

Today's Manuscript Monday is about the third part, the Cricket Club lunch. A man at the guru's house spontaneously invited my friend Erin and me to join him there. I had never expected to find myself there, so I looked a mess. I was also woefully sleep-deprived because male members of the hotel staff continued to open my door every couple nights and startle me awake. (I suspected word had gone around that there was a naked girl sleeping in room 168, but I made sure to be fully clothed every night after the first invasion.) Needless to say, I was not at my finest in this fine-dining establishment.



Mumbai is truly unpredictable. One hour, I’m slogging through innards in an alley. The next, I’m sitting in a penthouse apartment listening to a guru spell out the secrets of the universe. And the next, I found myself in the members-only bar of the exceedingly posh Cricket Club of India, sipping Foster’s beer while an Indian man from Canada tried his damnedest to pick up my friend under the guise of spiritual communion.

Not just the swankiest digs I’d seen in India, the Cricket Club was fancier than any place I hang out in America. It had chandeliers, white linen tablecloths, classical music and bow-tied waiters. If the Cricket Club was a shining relic of British influence, then I was a Dickensian street urchin who’d snuck in the back door for a crust of bread. This impression was heightened by my wardrobe: wrinkled backpacker khakis, a sweat-soaked T-shirt from Target that insisted on bunching under my armpits, and a tote bag with kittens on it.

Erin looked her usual brand of Indo-California chic in a green-flowered cotton tunic blouse and matching cotton pants. Green glass bangles slid up and down her wrists as she gestured, clinking like tiny champagne toasts.

Not even the cool atmosphere of affluence could stop the Mumbai heat. I blotted my perspiring forehead with wadded up tissues as I listened to the conversation. It suddenly occurred to me that I’d probably never be at this private club again. This urchin was going to have a look around.

I excused myself to use the restroom, and then walked out to the empty cricket green. I stared up at the stadium seating and the oval of blue sky beyond, hazy with urban pollution. I hadn’t seen this much open, unoccupied space since I left America. The vastness was comforting.

I walked back onto the patio and stood outside the glass doors to the dining room, watching wealthy Indian families sitting down for lunch service. I was amazed to see that nearly everyone wore blue jeans, sneakers and silk-screened T-shirts. This basic Western uniform was the height of fashion in Mumbai, even though denim is uncomfortably heavy in the subcontinental summer. Every beggar woman squatting on the sidewalk wore a silk sari, but India’s elite sported jeans and T-shirts.

Was it possible that my own backpacker wardrobe might look fashionable in this context? I entered the pristine white-tiled bathroom and examined my perspiration-soaked attire in the mirror. Yeah, not likely.

I wiped my face with a paper towel and made a futile attempt to arrange my sweat-drenched bangs across my forehead, where they hung like limp seaweed. I was beginning to realize why, in a city of 13.6 million people, I’d never seen one woman with bangs.

I found Erin and our host seated with his friend at a table in the dining room. Our host was in the middle of an anecdote about a Canadian friend who’d had trouble with strange men walking into her hotel room during her first visit to India.

I froze with my beer glass halfway to my lips. Was this an actual phenomenon in India? I said nothing about my own hotel intruders, but listened attentively.

“Well, the trouble was, she was sleeping naked in her room!” Our host laughed and the others joined in. “Come on,” he said, “this is India! Who would sleep naked here?”

I smiled nervously and began twisting the napkin in my lap into improvised origami.

We ordered a slew of dishes from the menu, which offered Indian Chinese food, a cuisine that had completely escaped my awareness until that moment. When it arrived, the food was very much like American Chinese food — sautéed greens, Schezhuan eggplant — with the particularly Indian additions of cauliflower and a hint of curry.

As we ate, our host directed his attention towards Erin. He was a smooth talker and somehow found a way to pepper the dominant topic of conversation — their shared guru — with allusions towards his financial prowess and sexual experience, relative to Indian males who had never lived in the west. The word “tantra” was uttered, along with several expressions of sympathy for how lonely she must be as a Westerner living overseas. Erin politely and gently guided the conversation back to more neutral topics until our host grew bored and turned to me.

“So, what do you want from India?” he asked.

I told him I came here with no plans, except to see the country and do some meditation. Just like the man I met in the airport, he rolled his eyes and announced that I should go to Goa instead.

“Enjoy yourself!” he said. He opened his wallet and began removing business cards for restaurants and guesthouses on the beaches of Goa. He spoke like a travel agent, “You can rent a scooter in Candolim, and you have to dine at the Villa Blanche Garden Bakery and Café.”

He slid the cards across the table towards me. I tried to tell him I didn’t really plan on going to Goa, but he acted as if it was a done deal. “Be careful of AIDS and drugs,” he told me with a stern look. “Both are rampant in Goa.”

“You’ll take a lover, of course,” he said, waving his hand in the air. I shot Erin a quizzical expression. She shrugged and grinned back at me. “Stay away from Russians and Israelis,” he said. “They are too rough. And Russians can’t speak English anyway.”

He studied my sweating face intently. “You would do well with an Italian,” he said thoughtfully. “Yes! Find an Italian! Have fun with him, but don’t expect too much.”

I twisted my napkin into a tiny ball. Take a lover? Please! I may not know why I’d been called to India, but I was pretty sure it wasn’t to date. For six months, I’d only packed one plain bra and not a single dress or bit of make-up. I’d had no luck with love in America and I sure as hell wasn’t looking for more in India.

I was here to feed orphans or meditate on a mountaintop, or something noble like that. All I needed now was a clear sign, which would be a lot easier to hear if everyone I met didn’t keep telling me to go to Goa.

I was ready for a God-ordained mission and all anyone said was, “Relax! Enjoy!” Even the guru had said we should be comfortable while meditating and have a beer if we wanted. I watched our host fill my glass with the last of the Foster’s and signal the waiter for more.

We finished our meal with custard-apple ice cream. The men wanted to linger at the club, but we excused ourselves and took a cab back to Erin’s flat. She was leaving the next day for Malaysia, on a two-week reporting assignment for a business travel magazine. I was more than a bit nervous to part with the only friend I had in India, but she’d promised to set me on the right path with one of her professional tarot readings before she left. We were bound to discover my calling that way. Full up on Chinese food and flattery, it was time to get serious.

2 comments:

  1. God, this is so great- it *totally* strikes up several memories for me. One being that Russian guy I met in Goa during my first few days there. My jetlag hadn't waned yet so I was getting up at 5am with a painfully full bladder (the 2L water minimum in India was news to my usually parched kidneys) and would head to the beach to meditate or go for a walk as the sun rose -not wanting to disturb you.
    I met the Russian guy one of those mornings, he apparently had not yet been to bed- weird choppy Russian hippy mullet and Ali Baba pants that were so prevalent in Goa, and Kingfisher beer in hand. He invited me back to his place he had rented for the month. Quite swank by India standards, clean, had a bathroom, and a small kitchenette. He made us coffee and we pantomimed about our lives as best we could. I was feeling so brave and open, taking in this new experience with a stranger and figuring out how to communicate without common words. Then I decided it was getting to be about time for you to be getting up and decided I should head back so you wouldn't worry. That was when he basically said I should "stay here" and sleep with him. And I don't think he meant nap. :/ I feigned language barrier ignorance and said my friend was waiting and thank you for the coffee and the invite but I have a place to sleep.... uh byyyeeee!! :P And Xam being all 'oh yeah, never trust a Russian..." Words of wisdom from an 18 year old multilingual Indian boy who could sell ice to an Eskimo and charm the pants off anyone who came by the shop. :)

    I also remember being in a hotel in Mumbai- exact outfit you were wearing only I'd been sweating in it and hand washing it in questionable buckets for the last two and a half months. The hotel was "midrange" which, as you know, is pretty fance for India. Hot water. All day long. Doood. :P I went to have my last dinner in India in their restaurant, and it was totally white table cloths and candles and half the restaurant was reserved for swank private parties for beautiful young coeds who were celebrating birthdays or other events and then spending the night in the dance club just below the restaurant. Here I am in sweat-soaked grey t-shirt and ugly khakis and this sweet waiter acted like I was the belle of the ball at a five star restaurant hosting a black tie affair... tending to my every need (me wishing he'd just ignore me like most waiters in India) and placing the pristine white cloth napkin into my lap. I was soooo glad that people didn't start showing up until I was leaving. Then as I left to go back to my room, I went to the elevator past the front desk (where I'd been in and out all day) and the clerk at the desk stopped me and asked me where I was going. I said "room 2-oh-whatever" and he looks totally shocked and said 'Oh... you're STAYING here?" Yeah.... you've been backpacking too long when you suddenly look like one of the local Lepers off the street to the hotel staff. :P

    And there's my usual self-aborbed autobiographical diatribe in your comment box... enjoy! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look! I finally figured out how to post comments on my own blog. (Hint: it does not work if you use Firefox.)
    Thank you so much for your stories! I love them! And just the mere mention of Ali Baba pants made me cringe! I remember when I was living in Goa, I had the urge to photograph people wearing them and start a web site to raise awareness about how unflattering they are. Attention tourists: you look like someone needs to change your diaper. You are not an oompa loompa. Stop, Hammertime, and consider some trousers! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete