December 11, 2009

Huzzah!

I finished writing about my first visit to Mumbai a few minutes ago. This feels like a victory because my India book has been moving so much slower than I initially hoped it would. Writing about my first week in India was like taking a road trip across the southern U.S. For awhile you zip through states every few hours--and then you hit Texas. You drive all day, go to sleep, wake up, and you're still in Texas. You're moving just as fast as before, but it feels like you aren't getting anywhere.

That's how the last month of writing this book has been. Work all day, go to sleep, wake up, and I'm still in my first week in Mumbai.

But not anymore! As of this afternoon, the manuscript "me" is finally on that midnight train to Goa. (Whenever I think of the phrase "midnight train to Goa," Gladys Knight and the Pips start singing in my head. Follow the link for awesome afros, bow ties and synchronized backup dancing.)

Next stop, the beach!

1 comment:

  1. Yay Arambol beaches! <3

    Love the Raj story. Reminds me of the young man in Agra who was hanging out with his female cousin who I'd been chatting with during the 4 hour delay of my train. The cousin asked him if he'd walk me to the correct platform so he did and I thanked him. Later I text messaged the cousin to tell her I'd shoved off and was safe and sound on the train and how thankful I was to have had her and her family's company. (BTW, I was invited to her sister's wedding whom I'd never met that was over a year away, and was told she was very disappointed I could not make it :P)
    I then get some random text that turns out to be her young cousin who walked me to the platform "what, I can't be your friend too??" I laughed and said of course he is my friend! I then had to turn my phone off because for the next four hours whenever the train would hit an area of reception, I'd get a barrage of text messages proclaiming his love for me, and cheesy love poems and talk of how he'd come to America for me.... Uh what was your name again?? :P
    Oh India. It'd be a lot simpler if they didn't have so many crazy romance movies and actually got to make out with each other before marriage. :D

    Love you, keep up the good work! xoxo

    ReplyDelete