December 22, 2009

My spoon is just the right size, thank you

This morning I was meditating - sitting quietly with my eyes closed, running through my usual FAQs for the Great Universal Whatchamacallit. Questions like: "What the hell do you want from me?" and "How can I get out of my own way to achieve it?"

I was hoping for holy light and the clear voice of divine direction. What I got was a mental replay of this cartoon by Don Hertzfeldt:



At first, this seemed like the usual pop-culture flotsam my mind kicks up to keep me from achieving enlightenment. I can't sit still for 30 seconds before my inner DJ starts spinning Britney Spears or replaying soundbites from "The Office." But upon further reflection, I think there's a message in this cartoon for anyone with big dreams and bigger confusion about what to do with them.

(If you haven't watched the cartoon yet, you really should, or this post will cease to make sense. Go ahead. Click on it now. I'll wait. Ready? Awesome!)

So here's my big insight: We have to stop complaining about the size of our spoons. It never occurs to the stick figure in the film that maybe his spoon (his appetite, his desires, his aspirations and creative goals) are just the right size. It's his bowl of food that is too small. Don't limit your dreams to fit your circumstances. Create the circumstances that fit your dreams.

Today, I am an optimistic banana. And so are you.

No comments:

Post a Comment